Olympic hockey - Pool (new one)

• Thread starter EL
  • Start date
In summary: I was really looking forward to this game.In summary, the pool championship for PGH hockey looks to be a lot of fun. There are thirteen matches to watch and the winner will be determined by who scores the most goals. There are also rules and tips for playing the matches. Canadians will be dominating the competition, but don't count out the Russians.
EL
Science Advisor
So, time has come to make a new try with this pool:

The olympic hockey tournament looks thrilling, so why not have a PF hockey pool championship! Find below 13 highly interesting matches to analyze. Check out the rules, fill in the form, and you might win eternal fame and glory!

Form:

Tournament winner:

Total number of goals scored in the matches above:

Matches:

Wednesday, Feb. 15
1. Russia vs. Slovakia

Thursday, Feb. 16
2. Sweden vs. Russia

Saturday, Feb. 18
3. Italy vs. Germany
4. Slovakia vs. United States
5. Czech Republic vs. Finland

Sunday, Feb. 19
6. Germany vs. Switzerland
7. United States vs. Sweden
8. Finland vs. Canada

Tuesday, Feb. 21
9. Latvia vs. Kazakhstan
10. Switzerland vs. Italy
11. Canada vs. Czech Republic
12. Sweden vs. Slovakia
13.United States vs. Russia

Rules:
* In each match, indicate how you think it will end:
1 = First team wins.
X = Draw.
2 = Second team wins.
* It is the result after 3*20min which counts, i.e. any sudden death and sudden death penalties are not included.
* The person who manages to guess most matches correctly wins.
* In case there are several persons with the same number of correct matches, the mutual order is determined according to:
1) In first hand, the person who tipped most X:es (no matter if they turned out to be correct or not) beats the others.
2) In second hand, the person who correctly guessed the winner of the whole tournament beats the others.
3) In third hand, the person who makes the closest guess about how many goals will be scored in total in the 13 matches above, beats the others. (Sudden death goals and sudden death penalty goals do not count.)
* The pool closes 1 hour before the first game (Russia vs. Slovakia) starts.
* If anyone fills in more than one form, it's the last one which counts. (Hence you have a chance to edit your tip until the pool closes.)

Good luck!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. 1
2. 1
3. 2
4. x
5. 1
6. 1
7. 2
8. 2
9. 1
10. 1
11. 1
12. 1
13. 2

Tournament winner: Canada

Total number of goals scored in the matches above: 77

Let the real games begin!

1. 1
2. 2
3. 2
4. 1
5. 2
6. 2
7. 1
8. 1
9. 1
10. 1
11. 1
12. 2
13. 2

Total number of goals scored in the matches above: 100

Come on now folks!
It begins tomorrow! Last call now!
At least I thought there was a bunch of hockey crazy Canadians hanging around here.

EL said:
Come on now folks!
It begins tomorrow! Last call now!
At least I thought there was a bunch of hockey crazy Canadians hanging around here.

... perhaps 'we' have the "leftovers" :biggrin: ? Come on guys, this will help fight the withdrawal symptoms of the olympic break.

1. 2
2. 2
3. 1
4. 2
5. 1
6. 1
7. 1
8. 2
9. 1
10. 2
11. 2
12. 1
13. 1

Ok, I know nothing about hockey at all so I just guessed those completely :p

That's just fine! We want everyone to participate!
So, hurry up, it starts on wednesday! Anyone who dares challenging us Scandinavians?:tongue2:

Last edited:
1. 1
2. 2
3. 2
4. 2
5. 1
6. 1
7. 1
8. 2
9. 2
10. 1
11. 1
12. 1
13. 1

Total number of goals scored in the matches above: 61

9 hours, 35 minutes left...

4 hours, 10 minutes...

Well, what a brilliant combination...sports in a physics forum...:grumpy:
Should have foreseen this...:redface:

Looks like Just Some Guy is in the lead. I'm really surprised that the Russians lost, I thought that they'd be much stronger. But they did look kind of sloppy at times.
I'm also impressed that Latvia is beating the US 3-2 going into the 3rd right now...

check said:
Looks like Just Some Guy is in the lead. I'm really surprised that the Russians lost, I thought that they'd be much stronger. But they did look kind of sloppy at times.
I'm also impressed that Latvia is beating the US 3-2 going into the 3rd right now...

:tongue2: for Latvia, wouldn't mind the Russians having success, it's been a while since they've gotten their act together and with that lineup ... :!)

Marian Gaborik! Wow!

... Ok, I can understand EL if you want to stay away from this thread for a few days ... :biggrin: ... (lucky there is a bay in between so didn't hear the scream).

PerennialII said:
... Ok, I can understand EL if you want to stay away from this thread for a few days ... :biggrin: ... (lucky there is a bay in between so didn't hear the scream).

..then you have to check your ears.:wink:
A really, really bad game...thanks for reminding me...:cry:
Anyway, last time we totally dominated Canada in the opening game, and still lost agains Belarus in the quarter. Hope it will go the other way now. Tonight Forsberg will go on ice, and if he feel fit for fight, I'm not worried anymore...

EL said:

EL said:
Well, what a brilliant combination...sports in a physics forum... Should have foreseen this...

Sorry for not making it into the pool.

My 25 minute walk in this morning at -35C (-31F) with wind chill -50C (-58F) probably qualifies me as a crazy Canadian

I'm also a hockey fan and physicist.

The order depends on my mood. Yesterday, I meant to go home to watch Canada play Germany, but I got so wrapped up in pervect's damned problem :tongue2: that I didn't make it!

I usually cheer for Sweden - except when they play Canada! As a kid, I was a big fan of 21 when he played for the Leafs.

Regards,
George

EL said:
..then you have to check your ears.:wink:
A really, really bad game...thanks for reminding me...:cry:
Anyway, last time we totally dominated Canada in the opening game, and still lost agains Belarus in the quarter. Hope it will go the other way now. Tonight Forsberg will go on ice, and if he feel fit for fight, I'm not worried anymore...

:rofl: ... how does it go again ... if you lose one early in the tournament you won't lose in quarters or semis and the other way around. Hope he has his groin in order, would be great to see him in the tournament - getting him and Lundqvist continuing as he'll likely do will get the team far. Although yesterday the Russians had such a form that any team would've had huge problems against them, everything seemed to go their way.

Did anyone watch the game yesterday? Germany had a chance to score on a totally open Canadian net goalie was no where to be seen, they shot the puck one of the Canadians dived forward and managed to block it, jumped up again took it down the ice and scored on Germany. That was so awesome!

George Jones said:
Sorry for not making it into the pool.
Just fill in a form now! We just don't count the matches which have been played.

I'm also a hockey fan and physicist.
Nice to here there are at least some of us!:smile:

As a kid, I was a big fan of 21 when he played for the Leafs.
Who was 21 playing for the Leafs?

PerennialII said:
:rofl: ... how does it go again ... if you lose one early in the tournament you won't lose in quarters or semis and the other way around.
Hopefully that's true this year.

Although yesterday the Russians had such a form that any team would've had huge problems against them, everything seemed to go their way.
To be honest, Sweden sucked...

Form:

3. 2
4. 2
5. 2
6. 1
7. 2
8. 2
9. 1
10. 1
11. 1
12. 1
13. 1

Tournament winner:Canada

Total number of goals scored in the matches above: 73

You tricked me. I may be a physicst, but I can unreasonably superstitious about sports - I didn't want to jinx Canada by predicting that they would win.

EL said:
Who was 21 playing for the Leafs?

You're kidding, right?! :confused:

Regards,
George

George Jones said:
You're kidding, right?! :confused:

I only know one number in Toronto, and that's 13 Sundin. Forsberg has played for Quebec, Colorado and Philadelphia, if it's him you're thinking of?

EL said:
I only know one number in Toronto, and that's 13 Sundin. Forsberg has played for Quebec, Colorado and Philadelphia, if it's him you're thinking of?

Hint: it seems that maybe I was kid a little before you were a kid.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
George Jones said:
Hint: it seems that maybe I was kid a little before you were a kid.

Hmm, I have a strong feeling you're talking about Salming then? But did he really have nr 21?

EL said:
Hmm, I have a strong feeling you're talking about Salming then? But did he really have nr 21?

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/LegendsMember.jsp?mem=P199602"

During the Canada-Sweden women's game, I heard a story that so many of the Swedish women wanted to wear 21 that names had to be drawn out of a hat.

I hope Sweden's goalie (the one that didn't play against Canada) comes up big today.

Regards,
George

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this is hardly fair. How do you expect us to realize this a new pool if we don't read the thread? (Well, besides the "new one" in the title, I mean).

My prediction from the previous Olympic hockey - Pool should carry over. Otherwise, just give me losses for the games I missed.

My original predictions

BobG said:
Well, this is hardly fair. How do you expect us to realize this a new pool if we don't read the thread? (Well, besides the "new one" in the title, I mean).

My prediction from the previous Olympic hockey - Pool should carry over. Otherwise, just give me losses for the games I missed.

My original predictions

No problem BobG, the old thread counts as well!
(The only reason I started a new one was that I screwed up somewhat about the "editing" part in the old thread).

George Jones said:
During the Canada-Sweden women's game, I heard a story that so many of the Swedish women wanted to wear 21 that names had to be drawn out of a hat.

Wow, didn't hear about about that, but I'm pretty sure it has a lot more to do with Forsberg than Salming. Most players were hardly born when Salming was playing in NHL...:wink:
My own interest in hockey started about the same time as Salming returned to Sweden, so for me nr 21 is the one and only Forsberg! (Who by the way is ready to play now!)

I hope Sweden's goalie (the one that didn't play against Canada) comes up big today.
And she did! Meet you in the final tomorrow!

One period left - Canada 2 goals down to Switzerland.

WoW!

Regards,
George

George Jones said:
One period left - Canada 2 goals down to Switzerland.

WoW!

The score holds - an amazing performance by the Swiss goalie Gerber in the third period (and the entire game), and Canada stunk for the first 2 periods.

Regards,
George

I don't get to see many Hurricane games up here.

Now I know why they're the best team in the NHL.

It's an okay loss though. Pretty inconsequential, will probably just serve as a wakeup call. Great win for Swiss hockey.

hahaha Canada loses...as sad as it is =[ its also laughable. Now i hope the US loses to slovakia.

If you're going to lose a game, the round robin is the time to do it. This will hopefully get Canada into gear. Less pushover teams makes the men's tournament so much more exciting then the womens, and makes success that much more rewarding.

It's great that the Swedish women pulled off the upset. It's not very exciting when you are essentially assured at least a silver in every competition. If they want women's hockey to survive the rest of the world needs to catch up to Canada and the US, this is a good sign.

What is up with Switzerland? :bugeye: Two big upsets in a row with only Germany and Italy left in the round robin. They're virtually through to the quarter finals, probably with a good seed.

And what's up with the USA? :frown: They'll be lucky to get out of the first round.

The Swiss have been giving the bigger countries some hard time ... seems like them being able to prep for weeks (?would think) is showing, along with excellent goal-tending. Forsberg in the tournament and Jagr wasn't hurt bad, sort of a good day.